Saturday, September 30, 2017

Wingfeather Costumes

Just another Wingfeather post to share the fun we had dressing up for book club!

When we first discussed the topic of dressing up for this book club, my younger son said he wanted to be Janner, and my older son said he wanted to be Tink, which was SO interesting to me, given that they fit the opposite characters in so many ways.

Anyway, I let it go, and as the time drew closer, the younger one really wanted to be Artham (after his transformation).  It took me some time, but he was really delighted with it.




 There are so many characters I adore in this series!  I relate most deeply to Janner, wish I was more like Nia, and am so delighted by Oskar!  I think I enjoyed Oskar even more on this second reading and decided to try to dress up as him.  My attempt at looking bald didn't exactly match, but I got a lot of good laughs when I greeted all of the kids at the door like this, spouting various, "In the words of..." greetings!  I even gave myself an "I like books" tattoo with an ink pen.



My older son decided on being Janner in his Durgan Guilding uniform.  It's such a perfect choice for him.  He is my serious kid and takes even his costume very seriously.  It never quite lives up to the ideas in his mind, but I think he looked pretty good, and I love that he takes on more than just a costume and really deeply ponders and engages the character.  
I used one of my husband's old dark t-shirts to cut into a cape and then cut holes out of one of the cut-off sleeve parts to make the mask.  I adjusted the directions for this hooded cowl to better fit him, though I wish I would have stuck with measurements closer to the original.  My kids have big heads!  I just used a bobby pin to attach the Durgan Guilding patch because I want to save it to put on a hoodie for him for the fall.  

These are old pictures from when we read the series the first time that were fun to remember:
The Florid Sword
Kalmar as a Durgan Guilding
   

No comments:

Post a Comment