Friday, September 29, 2017

Mary Poppins Book Club

To be honest, this was not one of my favorite books or clubs to host.  It is a really rare occasion that I like the movie better than the book, but this is one instance in which I love the movie and would gladly have skipped the book!  We ended up having yummy treats and a good discussion, but there were just a lot of things I did not like about the book, so it was hard for me to get as excited about the club for it.

For the food, we had slabs of gingerbread (on which I put the shiny gold paper stars), raspberry jam cakes, tea sandwiches, and tea.  The jam cakes all sunk in the middle, so instead of the cute little stacked layers in the recipe photo, I ended up with the filling in the middle where they sunk.  They were still pretty tasty.

While the kids were arriving, I had large papers and chalk or oil pastels set out for them to make sidewalk chalk drawings. (Our neighbors are not fond of the actual sidewalk being drawn on, so we did them on paper.)

I made a little activity for the kids to try to practice using compasses.  I provided each group a compass, and we had a large world map.  They were first told they would go north.  They had to use the compass to actually move north in the large yard, and when they got to the spot, there were the three choices of countries.  They had to pick the correct country that could have been to the north of them (assuming they started in England), and if they did, they found the picture of the animal that Mary and the kids found in their "travels."  The document doesn't really provide much, but it does have the images, the country choices, and some follow-up questions in it, so I'm including it:


No comments:

Post a Comment